Iraqi EFL Learners´ Ability in Using Apology
AbstractAbstract In the last two decades, many studies have been conducted to investigate speech act performance in general, and apology speech act in particular. The study of speech acts can provide us with better understanding and new insights into the interdependence of linguistic forms and socio cultural context. The objective of this paper is to investigate how the performance of learners of English differs in their performance in realize an apology speech act. Therefore, the study aimed at answering the following questions:
- What are the apology expressions used in the given situations by Iraqi
- How do students in Thi-Qar university respond apologetically in the
- What apology strategies do they use?
- The following hypotheses are posed in this study :
- The students tend to use certain formulaic expressive such as sorry,
- Females tend to use particular types of linguistic forms rather than males in expressing apology. They use long sentences and expression to express apology. Males and females use more than one strategy in the same situation.
How to Cite
Alaa Mohamed Jabir 2020. Iraqi EFL Learners´ Ability in Using Apology. Thi-Qar Arts Journal. 33, 1 (Dec. 2020), 16-36. DOI:https://doi.org/10.32792/http://jart.utq.edu.iq/.
Copyright (c) 2020 Alaa Mohamed Jabir
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.