The Police in the Basra Province 1869-1921
Keywords:the police force, the British forces, the Iraqi people, the policy of repression, and abuse
The Ottoman Empire had established a police force, yet it struggled with poor management and equipment. The collapse of the Ottoman state further exacerbated these issues. However, after the British occupation of Iraq, attention was given to restructuring, equipping, and increasing the personnel of the police force. This was done to fulfill its responsibilities as a security apparatus, safeguarding the occupied cities, transportation routes of the occupying forces, and their supplies. The research begins with this concept, and the first section defines the term "police" linguistically and terminologically. The second section focuses on studying the history of the police during the period from 1869 to 1914. Subsequently, the third section delves into the police force after the occupation, covering the years 1914 to 1921.
First: Unpublished documents
- D.K.W, Documentary Unit, Ministry of Interior, File Sequence 509, File Number 507/144, File Subject Police Basran, 29/2/1916 -8/1/1917, and 4.
- D.K.W, Documentary Unit, Ministry of Interior, File Sequence 509/3205, Basra Police [Jan 29/2/1916 -18/1/1917 and 4.
- D.K.W, Documentary Unit, Royal Palace, File Sequence 2542 –and, File Number 2/11, File Subject, Ministry of Interior Owners for the year 1921, and 22, p49.
Second: Messages and Theses
- Ali Nasser Hussein, British Administration in Iraq Published Master’s Thesis, College of Arts, University of Baghdad, 1991.
- Adnan Hirir Al-Shujairi, The Administrative System in Iraq 1920-1929, Unpublished PhD Thesis, College of Arts, University of Baghdad, 2005.
- Essam Abdel Hassan Al-Baram, Development of the Iraqi Police 1958-1963, Institute of Arab History and Scientific Heritage for Graduate Studies, Unpublished Master’s Thesis, 2002.
- 5- Firdaws Abdul Rahman Karim, Liwa Al-Amara in the Ottoman Era -1861-1914, Unpublished Master’s Thesis, College of Education Ibn Rushd, University of Baghdad, 1998.
- 6- Qahtan Hamid Kazem Al-Anbaki, Ministry of Interior Functional Structure and Development of Specialized Work Institutions 1925-1939 Published Master’s Thesis , College of Education , Diyala University , 2003 .
- 7-Karim Haidar Khudair , The Emergence and Development of the Iraqi Police 1921-1932 , Unpublished Master’s Thesis , College of Arts , University of Baghdad , 1993 .
- 8-Manar Salah Ismail , Iraqi Rescue Police and its Role in Stabilizing Security until 1968 , Unpublished Master’s Thesis , Institute of Arab History and Scientific Heritage for Graduate Studies , Baghdad , 2013 .
- 9-Majida Karim Abdul Janabi , Ministry of Interior , Founding Stage , Study in its Organizational and Administrative Structure and its Specialized Responsibilities 1921-1924 , Unpublished Master’s Thesis , College Education , Al-Qadisiyah University , 2002 .
- 10-Mohammed Asfour Salman , Iraq in the Era of Midhat Pasha , Unpublished Master’s Thesis , College of Arts , University of Baghdad , 1989 .
- 11-Muntaha Azab Dhweib , Sir Percy Cox and his Role in Iraqi Politics 1864-1923 , Unpublished Master’s Thesis , College of Arts , University of Baghdad .1995 ; Arab Horizons Magazine , Issue /24 , Baghdad ,1985 .
- 12-Nabil Amer Fleih , Administrative and Security Tasks for the Iraqi Ministry of Interior during the British Mandate Years 1920-1932 , College of Education , Al-Mustansiriya University ,2011 .
- Ibn Manzur Muhammad bin Makram bin Manzur Lisan al-Arab Madh7 Beirut2002.
- Arnold Talbot Wilson Mesopotamia Translation by Fouad Jamil Al-Kraiti J1 T2 Dar Al-Shu’un Al-Thaqafiyya Baghdad1991.
- Ikmal al-Din Ihsan Ogloa The Ottoman State History and Civilization Translation by Saleh Saadawi Istanbul1969.
- Bertram Thomas Risks and Journeys in Arabia Translation by Abdul Hadi Fanjan Al-Saadi Dar Murtada Printing and Publishing2009.
- Jabral Kurno Dictionary of Legal Terms Translation by Mansour Al-Qadi T2 Majd Al-Jami’ah Foundation Beirut2009.
- Hamed Nasser Al-Dhalimi Basra Memory City Beirut2016.
- Hamid Ahmed Hamdan Al-Tamimi Basra under British Occupation1914-1921 Rashad Printing Press Baghdad1979.
- Saadoun Abdul Hussein Hadi The Administrative Process in the Police Research submitted to obtain a Higher Diploma in Police Sciences Higher Officers Institute Baghdad1980.
- Steven Hemsley Longrigg Modern Iraq1900-1950 Translation by Salim Taha Al-Tikriti J2 T2 Dar Al-Fikr Baghdad1988.
- Steven Hemsley Longrigg and Frank Stokes Iraq from Dawn to History until the Revolution1958 Translation by Mustafa Numan Ahmed Murtada Foundation for the Iraqi Book2009.
- Abdul Razzaq Al-Husseini History of the Iraqi Ministry J1 T7 Dar Al-Shu’un Al-Thaqafiyya Baghdad1988.
- Abdul Razzaq Al-Dhahir Feudalism and the Diwan in Iraq Al-Saada Printing Press Egypt1946.
- Philip Willard Ireland Iraq A Study in Political Development Iraq A Study in Political Development Translation by Jaafar Al-Khayat Al-Kashaf Publishing Beirut1949.
- Farouk Saleh Al-Omar On British Policy in Iraq1914-1921 Gulf Studies Center Publications T2 Basra2017.
- Al-Mas Bell Chapters from Modern Iraqi History1914-1920 Translation by Jaafar Al-Khayat Al-Rafidain Printing, Publishing and Distribution Beirut2010. 19-Mohammed Ali Al-Rikabi Police Administration in Egypt Cairo (D.D) 1966.
- Mustafa Kazem Al-Mudafaa Texts from Ottoman Documents from the History of Basra in the Records of the Sharia Court in Basra Basra1982. 21- Mirza Hassan Agha History of Basra Province (A Study of its Social, Economic and Political Conditions) Translation by Wafi Abu Maghli Review by Hussein Al-Qahwai, Basra, 1980
- Mahmoud Abdul Wahid Mahmoud, Basra and the British Occupation 1914-1920, Historical Studies Magazine, Issue 38, Beit Al-Hikma, 1999, Baghdad.
- Mohammed Hamdi Al-Jaafari, Britain and Iraq An Era of Conflict 1914-1958, General Cultural Affairs House, Baghdad, 2000.
- A group of researchers, The Detailed in the History of Modern Iraq, Beit Al-Hikma, Baghdad, 2002.
- Encyclopedia of Media for Senior Iraqi Royal Politicians from 1920-1958, J2, Ministry of Culture, Baghdad, 2013.
- Nuri Al-Said and his Political Role in Iraq, Times Printing and Publishing Company, Baghdad, 1987.
- Kazem Habib, Criminal Investigations Police in Iraq, Mesopotamia House for Printing, Publishing and Distribution, Baghdad, 1913.
- Ali Nasser Hussein , The Iraqi Police from the Late Ottoman Era to the Coronation of Prince Faisal as King of Iraq1864-1921 , College of Arts Magazine , University of Baghdad , Issue /22 ,2011 .
- Internal Security Forces Magazine , Issue /62 , Baghdad , July1989 .
- Policeman Magazine , Baghdad , J7 , Issue /1 , October 7th1927 .
- -https://almadasupplements.com/view.php?cat=14239 Mada Supplements Issue2861 , 22/11/2015 .
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Dr Hamidah Maki Farhood
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Permit others to distribute and copy the manuscript, to create extracts, abstracts, and other revised versions, adaptations or derivative works of or from the manuscript (such as a translation), to include in a collective work, to text or data mine the article, even for commercial purposes, as long as they credit the author(s), do not represent the author as endorsing their adaptation of the article, and do not modify the article in such a way as to damage the author's honor or reputation. Further details found at Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)